Thursday, July 22, 2010

7/21 California Coast (S.F. to Monterey)

I drove west from Yosemite to continue on the Pacific Coast Highway south towards Los Angeles. I thought I would get a lot further than I did today but got sidetracked and spent a lot of time in Santa Cruz and Monterey.

I sat for a while, watching a bunch of crazy surfers at a very well known place in the surfing world called "Steamer Lane" in Santa Cruz. Not a place for beginners! The waves come big and late, very close to the rocky wall... and spectators have a great view because we're able to get so close. These guys are insane! I put up a few short videos too. Zach and Ben... you'll love these!

Monterey grew! I don't remember it very well (20+ years ago was when I saw it last)... but the Fisherman's Wharf seems to be much bigger and more popular. And Cannery Row is now a hot nightspot... all the old canneries are now restaurants, bars, and shops.



A little south of San Francisco.











Santa Cruz












From the end of Fisherman's Wharf pier in Monterey, looking back towards the marina.


Sea lions relaxing. The little guy on the left was scratching his ear for about 5 minutes. It was cute!



A couple of sea otters playing.

Cannery Row


No comments:

Post a Comment