Saturday, July 17, 2010

7/15 - 7/16 Crater Lake, OR

While Crater Lake was a beautiful place, I had a completely miserable time -- due to vicious, terrorizing, blood-sucking mosquitoes. I arrived at the Lake about an hour before sundown. As soon as I got out of the car, I was chased by a little swarm. I thought it might have been just that particular area... and I drove to a new location near the lake -- same thing happened... I was bitten all over.

Even when I went back this morning, equipped with mass amounts of bug spray... these pesky creatures still managed to "bug" the heck out of me. I asked several people about them... apparently it's really bad right now because of the higher than average snow that's still on the ground (the mosquitos like to breed in the snow banks) combined with the hot summer.


Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the U.S., about 2000 feet. It was created when an old volcano collapsed during an eruption, leaving the perimeter of the crater open to fill up with water.



In the upper left and the bottom center of this picture.... can you see those little spots? Believe it or not, those are close up of mosquitoes near the camera lens.

Looking out from the Crater.




No comments:

Post a Comment