Monday, August 2, 2010

7/30 - 8/2 Colorado (Vail, Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park)



I had outstanding weather the first month of my trip... but that luck has run out the last 7 days. It rained everyday since I've been in Utah and Colorado. At least each of these days the rain didn't ruin my time - and there were long stretches of sunshine and/or cloudiness.

My cousin Pati let me stay at her condo in Vail... amazing place and location! I had nice visits with a few old friends who ended up moving near Denver... Dawne from Lake Stockholm and Joe and Sue from Phoenix.

Rocky Mountain National Park was amazing. Driving into clouds and fog made it difficult to see all the scenery, but it was still a great experience to be there.



Driving east towards Vail on I-70.

The view from Pati's driveway in Vail.

A mile or two from Pati's.

Vail

Vail Village has such a great atmosphere. I wonder what it's like at peak times during the winter.

Driving towards Denver on 70.

Invesco Field, where the Broncos play.

And Coors Field, the home of the Rockies.

Driving north approaching Boulder. Many of the buildings to the right are the University of Colorado. What a beautiful place to go to school!

A great little town, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

I can't resist taking pictures of cute little chipmunks eating.

I don't know what kind of bird this is, but it was beautiful.

In the background is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, which has a reputation for being haunted. Stephen King stayed there once and inspired him to write the book, "The Shining."

Rocky Mountain National Park:




Another interesting bird.




This is officially the highest place I ever went to the bathroom!

And this area was the highest altitude I've ever experienced. It was 200 feet higher than that bathroom. The hike was only 1/2 mile, but not being used to that altitude, it was very dizzying.

A marmot



A mile or two outside of the Park, it was a great surprise to see these two moose. (Why isn't it mooses or meese?)

Driving back towards Vail.

No comments:

Post a Comment