Tuesday, June 29, 2010

6/29 - 6/30 The Badlands, South Dakota

This was a very peaceful place. While it was hot, the wind kept the temperature at a bearable level.

On the way:

The night before going to Badlands, I slept in Mitchell, SD. Before leaving town early in the morning, I just had to drive by the famous "Corn Palace."

Badlands National Park:

My first National Park on this trip.

Some of these rock/mountain/doodad things were a lot of fun to walk and climb upon.





That's a big bird up there.




That's an official Badland bighorn sheep sitting there. He was tagged, with a colorful collar.



Wild buffalo grazing.

When the land flattened out, there were lots and lots of prairie dogs.

I walked very close to this little guy. All his friends scurried away back into their holes, but this one stayed, staring me down.

He was fearless and actually walked away from his hole towards me. Someone else walked nearby, which startled him.

After driving through Badlands, before heading to my campground, I drove out to Wall, to see the famous Wall Drug Store; it's a tourist trap, but I gotta admit, it's worth cruising through.

Campground - Interior, SD:

I picked a bad night to set up my tent. No rain, no storm... just super high winds, beating upon my tent. I kept thinking a tornado was going to take me and my tent for a ride. Needless to say, I was only able to sleep a couple hours.

Badlands (The next morning at dawn):
I drove in around 4:30 in the morning.. was a ghost town. A couple hours later, I passed a few cars in the park.



Apparently, Mr. Cottontail cannot read.

Buffalo Gap Grasslands:
I took the scenic route on my way to the Black Hills.

I have no idea what these little eroded mini plateau things are called, but the prefix should be "chia"


1 comment:

  1. For a second after I viewed your first pic, I thought you were in Russia. I have never heard of the Corn Palace. Wow! I am already jealous of your travels.

    Keisha

    ReplyDelete